June 9, 2011

style?

A few months ago someone asked me what my style was. It stopped me in my tracks. Not that I'd never thought about it before but I'm not sure anyone had ever asked me that. She assumed I was contemporary. Which I'm not really. Then, she thought I would be shabby chic. I'm not that either. I like to think that I'm traditional but with a twist. I am not sure that defines me though. Or maybe Hollywood Regency. Which is what I ended up telling her. But then she had no idea what I was talking about. Maybe I need Emily Henderson to do a style diagnostic on me! 


 Heaven knows I have been through my phases. When I was a newlywed in 2003-2004 I would wake up at 3am each morning to watch Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic show on the Style Network and then go back to bed when it was over. I dragged my husband to her Santa Monica store and my bestie to the Pasadena flea market. It was a phase. A phase I think is still beautiful but not really me now. But I could totally go back to the flea! I went through a pretty hot and heavy Ikea phase. Moving to 6 different apartments got me out of that phase pretty quickly. Ikea is for lovers not movers. I think where I'm at now is more who I really am than a phase though.

Truth be told I like almost any style if it is done well. I think everything can be beautiful. What do I want from my home?

I want it to function for my family. Sophisticated but fun! Color and pattern are important to me. I want solid furniture on a budget. Classic. Clean {3 kids people!}. I like traditional pieces. I love a bit of whimsy and even a little bohemian chic. I love when there is meaning or a family story behind a piece. I love a mix of a lot of things!

So is there a phrase to define my style? I'd love to hear style names that you come up with! And what style name would you give yourself?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...